Meet the PRAs – Alyssa Daniels

Meet Alyssa Daniels ’23, an OUR Peer Research Ambassador (PRA) majoring in Physiology & Neurobiology and minoring in Molecular & Cell Biology and Psychological Sciences.

Picture of Alyssa Daniels '23, Text: Meet the PRAs - Alyssa.What is the focus of your research?

I work in the Randall Walikonis Lab in the PNB department. Currently, we are investigating the effects of heat shock on a genetic mutation known to cause severe neurological disorders and seizures due to the overactivation of a binding protein. It is hypothesized that heat may reduce this hyper-activity in this seizure causing mutation. Additionally, I am a part of the fourth cohort of the BOLD Women’s Leadership Network. This experience has enabled me to develop my own research project and network with some amazing faculty at UConn and other universities! My research focuses on the intersection between autism, alexithymia, and eating disorders. It has been neat to participate in both molecular and psychological research!

Why did you get involved in research?

I was fascinated by the concept of research. I wanted to get involved right away after entering college. I felt as though a lot of my lab-based courses were too structured. I wanted to develop my lab skills outside of the classroom. I was interested in better understanding how genetic mutations are studied at the molecular level and the major impacts they can have on an organism. I have always been interested in neuroscience and psychology, specifically in how autism impacts development. The BOLD program allowed me to delve into these interests by allowing me to design and implement my own project.

What advice would you give to aspiring student researchers?

I would advise aspiring student researchers to reflect on their areas of interest before getting involved in research. There are so many amazing research projects being carried out on UConn’s campus which provides a breadth of options for students who want to get involved. I think that research should be enjoyable! Being passionate about your research makes it feel less like work and more like fun!

I would also advise students to not give up if they can’t get into a lab right away. It can be challenging to find opportunities on campus. Do not get discouraged! It may take time to find the right opportunity for you, and that is okay. Know that you are not alone! The Office of Undergraduate Research and your Peer Research Ambassadors are here to help you!

What do you enjoy the most about participating in research?

I enjoy the level of autonomy that research provides. It enables me to think creatively and then apply those ideas in real life. I think that learning about a subject in a classroom setting is great, but it is so much more fun to learn hands-on in a research setting. I also enjoy the collaborative atmosphere of research! Meeting with people who have similar interests and brainstorming solutions has been so cool. I have found that working in research is almost like playing for a sports team as everyone involved collaborates to solve the given problem.

What are your plans after graduation? How has involvement in research influenced your plans and prepared you for the future? 

My research at UConn has completely reshaped my career path. I entered UConn wanting to go into research. I liked the idea of working in a lab setting on projects that excite me. After my freshman year, I realized that I want to work with patients. At that point, I decided that I wanted to become a physician’s assistant. To prepare for this career, I became a CNA and worked in a long-term care facility with hospice patients. This experience helped me to realize that I am less interested in the anatomy and physiology component of medicine and more interested in the psychological wellbeing of patients. I certainly appreciated all the research experiences I had in my first couple years at UConn, but the project I’m doing through the BOLD program has completely shaped me. I had never felt so inspired and excited about any other course or project before. It has been a challenge, but I have been enjoying every step of it. Ultimately, this research project felt like a privilege more than a chore. It inspired me to take a second look at my future. I now know that I want to get my doctorate in clinical psychology. For me, this route offers the perfect balance of working with patients/clients and research. I have gained many important research skills which have prepared me for the next steps of my academic career. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to explore my interests through research at UConn.

Click here for more information on Alyssa and other OUR Peer Research Ambassadors.