Meet the PRAs: Mary Vlamis

Meet Mary Vlamis ’20, an OUR Peer Research Ambassador (PRA) double majoring in Economics and Political Science.

What is the focus of your research?

I am a part of two current research projects. One focuses on gender and ethnic discrimination in the Peruvian labor market, the other focuses on tort reform and public opinion.

Why did you get involved in research activity?

I have always been a curious person, and I have a genuine interest in most of the classes I take. Working hard and showing interest in my classes lead professors to approach me to assist them in their projects. Research is a long and difficult process, but my love for the topics I research helps me to stay focused!

What advice would you give to incoming freshmen?

Put yourself out there! Ask questions in class if something interests you, or go to office hours and talk with faculty on their research. This is the only time in your life you will be surrounded by people who know so much about things you elect to study. Take advantage of it!

What do you enjoy the most about participating in research?

I most enjoy figuring out a creative way to solve a problem. In social science research, it is often difficult to measure your subject of interest. You have to think outside of the box to construct a project that properly analyzes what you intend.

Describe the impact your research experience has had on you.

My research experience has taught me to be patient with myself and be patient with the process.  In this, I have learned that I am capable of much more than I once believed. My research experience has also added a new dimension to my interest in public policy.