Meet the PRAs: Alex Clonan

Meet Alex Clonan ’22, an OUR Peer Research Ambassador (PRA) double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Molecular & Cell Biology.

Meet the PRAs - Alex.What is the focus of your research?

Currently the main two projects that I have been focusing on are my undergraduate research project in the Escabi Lab in the Biomedical Engineering department, as well as a social impact project I have been working on through the Change Grant. In my engineering lab, I work with auditory signal analysis and physiological model experiments of the auditory system. With my Change Grant, I am trying to incorporate STEM education for engineering into a clinical pediatric setting, to improve engagement in STEM from a young age.

Why did you get involved in research?

I actually got involved in research in applying to the Health Research Program after setting up an advising appointment with the OUR. I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do, or even what research was, but I wanted to learn more about it. I ended up getting involved in a research lab at UConn Health, based on computational biology and cell signaling networks. It completely changed my perspective when it came to planning my future and now I am an aspiring researcher!

What advice would you give to aspiring student researchers?

I would say that if you are interested, even the slightest bit – to go for it and embrace research as a learning opportunity. Your experiences are valued and applicable in so many different ways. But if you already know you want to do research, find something that interests you, that you would stay up at night wanting to read about. In research, I feel you get out what you put in; if you find something you are passionate and interested in, it ends up being like a big puzzle more than anything.

What do you enjoy the most about participating in research?

I really enjoy talking to people – specifically about their experiences in the lab and motivations. Research provides you with such an amazing support network and structure of people to learn from, whether it be your PI or grad students working in the lab. Each person has a unique background, and it’s something I look forward to everyday, because these conversations lead to new questions, new connections, and – for me at least- learning even more than in my classes at times.

Describe the impact your research experiences have had on you.

The impact my research experiences have had on me have been immeasurable, I cannot think of where I would be without the Health Research Program exposing me to research the fall of my first-year. Prior to getting involved in research, I thought industry was the only avenue for engineers, but now I am an aspiring researcher hoping to go into the field of biomedical engineering!

Click here for more information on Alex and other OUR Peer Research Ambassadors.