Meet the PRAs: Malak Nechnach

Meet Malak Nechnach ’26, an OUR Peer Research Ambassador majoring in Physiology & Neurobiology and minoring in Mathematics.

Picture of OUR Peer Research Ambassador Malak, link to a "Meet the PRAs" profile of Malak.What is the focus of your research?

I am working under Dr. Sciolino in the Physiology & Neurobiology department. We conduct behavioral neuroscience research, and the focus of our research is understanding how the effects of central norepinephrine systems regulate motivated behaviors, with the goal of uncovering the neuromodulatory basis of neuropsychiatric and metabolic disorders.

Why did you get involved in research?

I got involved in research because I was interested in pursuing research in neuroscience and wanted to get experience to solidify my career choices and know what my career would look like.

What advice would you give to aspiring student researchers?

I would tell them to just go for it. You do miss 100% of the shots you don’t make, so it is okay if you are scared to reach out to professors and labs, but don’t let that fear bring you down. Make use of every resource you have at college such as office hours, connections and networking, your TA’s and obviously OUR. It is never too late to get started.

What do you enjoy the most about participating in research/creative activity?

What I enjoy the most about participating in research is the relationship I have with my graduate students and professors. They truly are mentors to me and teached me so many things every day. But most importantly I am passionate about neuroscience so every new thing I learn in my lab makes me extremely happy.

Describe the impact your research experience/creative activity has had on you.

My involvement in research has definitely benefited me in multiple aspects. On top of the scientific knowledge I acquired, being in a lab truly helped me learn how to be flexible, open minded and always ask questions. It helped me gain confidence when talking with other professors about my research and helped me feel like I have an impact on science discovery.

What are your plans after graduation? How has involvement in research influenced your plans and prepared you for the future?

My involvement in research has very much helped me prepare for my future. When I came into college, I was not sure what I wanted to pursue research in, but after being part of two research labs, I was able to concretize what I was interested in and what I wouldn’t pursue later on. In addition the support and experiences shared by graduate students helped me feel more informed and confident with my decisions, it is great having someone in the same field as you trying to help.

My plans after graduation as of right now are pursuing a PhD in behavioral neuroscience.

Click here for more information on Malak and other OUR Peer Research Ambassadors.