Change Grant – 3 Reasons to Apply

By Maria Latta, OUR Peer Research Ambassador

You might think a pre-pharmacy student would want to be working in a lab on drug discovery and most of time you would be right! But with me, things were different.

I have a passion for sociology that I discovered when I was fulfilling my gen-ed requirements my first semester. And after taking a Methods in Social Research course, I knew that the best way to for me to continue pursuing sociology and pharmacy was through research.

I wanted to use an online survey to explore how culture and social interactions influence Traditional Chinese Medicine use in the United States. I found mentors from different departments to support me and I had a piloted survey questions ready to go, but what I needed was funding. This is when I turned to the Office of Undergraduate Research and found the UConn Co-op Legacy Fellowship – Change Grant program.

The Change Grant is a newer opportunity at UConn that has lots of unique features and here are 3 reasons why you should apply:

1. Engage in an Impact Driven Project
During their 41 years of operation, the UConn Co-op was committed to supporting the academic and cultural life of the University community. To honor the legacy of their work, the Change Grant funds projects that have a social impact and are meant for students looking to make a change in their community, locally or broadly. Impact can be approached from a variety of angles including community service, research, advocacy, or social innovation projects.

As a Co-op Legacy Fellow, I wanted to impact pharmacy practice in the area to patient counseling. If pharmacists can better understand why their patients are utilizing alternative medicine therapies, then they will be able to build constructive and lasting relationships with their patients. This fosters trust with the healthcare professional that is invaluable when providing effective medication therapy counseling, especially with minority groups.

2. Apply Classroom Knowledge to a Real-World Situation
An independent, student-led project is a great way to taking an interesting technique or topic that is taught in a class and see what it could look like in practice. Whether it is a business strategy applied to an entrepreneurial service initiative or an engineering concept used to design a prototype that addresses an environmental issue, the Change Grant is an avenue for students from any major to design a project using techniques and concepts that interest them most.

3. Explore a New Topic
Have you ever wondered about something that never seems to get discussed in class? For me, it was Traditional Chinese Medicine. I grew up using this alternative option, but never understood why some of my family and friends swear by it and some would never touch it. This piqued my interest in studying it further in the context of pharmacy practice.

Exploring a topic that is new to you or in more depth than you have before can contribute to your field, your community, and your personal growth!

Maria is a senior majoring in Pharmacy Studies and minoring in Sociology and Molecular & Cell Biology. Click here to learn more about Maria.