Intersession and early in the spring semester is the perfect time to make your plans for next summer. Many research programs and other relevant opportunities set deadlines in January and February. The people who run summer programs want to make sure that they have time to choose their candidates and then give everyone time to plan the practicalities.
So … now is the time to get your applications ready!
Many summer programs use the acronym “REU” or Research Opportunity for Undergraduates. These opportunities may provide a summer stipend of $4000 to $5000, and free room and board for the summer!
Other summer positions can have a variety of different names – “fellowship,” “internship,” “co-op,” or “associate.” Look at the full variety of titles and find the experience that will be super for you!
Feb. 1 deadline:
- UConn Summer Undergraduate Research Fund (SURF) Award – awards of up to $4,000 for UConn students with strong research and creative project plans for the summer! Over 60 awards made in 2012!
- Amgen-UROP Scholars Program, MIT – faculty-mentored summer research in science and biotechnology. (There are lots of Amgen Scholar Programs.)
- Langley Aerospace Research Student Scholar Program, 10-week summer session.
- REU Program in Solar and Space Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Smithsonian Institution summer internships – opportunities in education programs, a digital arts camp for teens with cognitive and intellectual disabilities, marketing and evaluation.
- UCONN REU Program in Energy Processes and Systems. Application details.
Feb. 5 deadline:
Feb. 8 deadline:
- AP-Google Scholarship – $20,000 scholarship award, open to freshmen, sophomores, and juniors interested in digital journalism.
- Environmental studies internship, US EPA,Office of Children’s Health Protection & Environmental Education, Washington, DC.
Feb. 9 deadline:
- Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.
Feb. 11 deadline:
- American Heart Association, Founders Affiliate Undergraduate Student Summer Fellowship Program, based in affiliate labs (including at UCHC) in NY, CT, and MA.
- Tibor T. Polgar Fellowship Program, NY Department of Environmental Conservation. Research on the Hudson River.
Feb. 13 deadline:
- Hartford Hospital Summer Student Pre-Med & Research Program – an especially good opportunity for junior pre-med students. Award for the ten-week Program is $1,500 – $1,800.
Feb. 15 deadline:
- Biomedical research, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program.
- American Bar Association, Summer Research Diversity Fellowships in Law and Social Science for Undergraduate Students. Four fellowships, based in Chicago.
- Nantucket Maria Mitchell Observatory REU for astronomy and astrophysics students.
- Northwestern UniversityMaterials Research Science & Engineering REU, Evanston, IL.
- Oklahoma State REU in the Biological Basis of Human and Animal Behavior.
- Summer Student & Minority Fellowships, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI).
Feb. 22 deadline:
- Structure and Function of Proteins REU, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL.
Feb. 28 deadline:
- Sensing & Signaling in Biological Systems REU, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.