Don’t wait to check out summer research opportunities. Many research programs and internships want to finalize their candidates early in the spring. Look for the acronym “REU” or Research Opportunity for Undergraduates when searching for possible summer opportunities. Some offer awards of $4000 to $5000, and free room and board for the summer!
Remember – summer positions can have a variety of different names – “fellowship,” “internship,” “co-op,” or “associate.” Keep your options open in order to find the best experience for you!
March 1 Deadlines:
- Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP) Undergraduate Summer Research Internship – Virginia Tech – Wide variety of academic disciplines; $3000 stipend, free room and board.
- Summer Research Internships: University of Tokyo – Six-week research-centered program for students interested in natural science areas. Housing provided; stipend to cover some travel costs and personal expenses.
- Center on Budget and Policy – Washington, DC – Offers internships working on a variety of public policy issues.
- Research Fellowships in Oceanography – University of Rhode Island – Primarily for rising seniors in science, math and engineering programs.
- Science News Writing Internship/Science Magazine –Internship for news writers; applications being accepted for 6-month period (July-Dec.)
- Whale Research Internships – Gloucester, MA – Biology/Zoology students – summer internship on commercial whale watch vessels collecting, organizing and analyzing data.
- Maryland Sea Grant Program – REU – Opportunity to conduct marine research on Chesapeake Bay. Priority given to rising seniors
- Washington Internship on Social Insurance – Targets upper division students studying public policy, economics, political science or related field; 12 week internship with $3500 stipend
- National Institutes of Health – Internship in Biomedical Research – Work side by side with researchers in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) – Intended for advanced undergraduates studying the history of electrical technology and computing
March 5 Deadline:
- Hertog Global Strategy Initiative (HGSI) at Columbia University-2013 Seminar – Topic “The History of Climate Change and the Future of Global Governance”. Limited financial is available to cover tuition costs.
March 8 Deadline:
- Nanotechnology for Health, Energy and the Environment – REU program at the University of Stony Brook. $4000 stipend plus free housing and a meal plan
- Donald A. King HDSA Summer Research Fellowship (Huntington’s Disease Society of America)
March 15 Deadlines:
- University of Buffalo – School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences – Competitive 10-week program with a $3000 stipend.
- AGI/AIPG Summer Internships in Geoscience Policy – 12-week internship; fixed stipend of $5,000.
- Internships with the Kissinger Institute on China and the United States – Designed to provide practical experience in an environment that mixes academic study with public policy. Internships are part-time (15-20 hours per week) and are unpaid.
- Biology Summer Internship Program, Long Island University – $3,000 student stipend and financial support for on-campus housing.
March 22 Deadline:
- Behavior Sciences Student Fellowship – Epilepsy Foundation of America – Award amount up to $3,000.