Student participants in the 2020-21 Work-Study Research Assistant Program are expected to complete the following program requirements:
- Complete one professional development experience each semester and submit a brief reflection report within two weeks of the experience. For example:
- Attend a Center for Career Development (CCD) in-person or virtual/online program/presentation;
- Attend a colloquium, dissertation defense, or lecture relevant to your research area;
- Other events/programs may count towards this requirement; check with OUR prior to attending to confirm the experience will count.
- Complete one advising appointment with an OUR staff member each semester to discuss your learning, goals, and next steps.
- Complete an online report on your fall semester work by Friday, December 11, 2020 (revised deadline).
- Complete an online report on your spring semester work by Friday, April 30, 2021.
- Complete a research reflection: You may elect to complete the reflection requirement by either presenting your research at the Frontiers in Undergraduate Research Poster Exhibition (April 2021) or completing a written reflection report. Students electing to submit a written reflection (1-2 pages) should address the following:
- What did you do and what did you learn in assisting with your mentor’s research?
- How did your work on the project meet or differ from your expectations?
- How did your participation in this program impact your undergraduate experience at UConn?
We encourage students to discuss this reflection with their mentors. Student should submit their reflection report no later than Monday, May 3, 2021.
The time spent by students completing professional development activities, completing the online reports, writing the reflection paper, and preparing and presenting a poster should be reported as work time. As students approach their maximum award amounts, we encourage students and faculty to plan ahead and reserve work hours for these tasks.