Meet the PRAs – Anabelle Bergstrom

Meet Anabelle Bergstrom ’25, an OUR Peer Research Ambassador (PRA) majoring in Political Science and Philosophy.

Meet the Peer Research Ambassadors - Anabelle Bergstrom.What is the focus of your research?

Currently, the focus of my research is on gender in the military. During high school, I wrote a mock legal brief arguing in support of including women into the draft. For my Holster Scholar project, I examined how the experiences of ROTC cadets affect their career ambition. My interest in this topic stems from my family’s involvement in the military, specifically my grandfather. Growing up around veterans sparked my interest in military history which has positively impacted my research goals. My hope is that my research will help find solutions to gender disparities in ROTC and the military at large. I also hope to expand my research to other topics within political science as I continue my undergraduate career.

Why did you get involved in research?

I got involved in research because I love to learn. I really enjoy digging for more new information and bringing new ideas to the table. I want to be a part of the solutions to the problems in our government, society, and world. I want to be part of positive change which I believe is possible through the research I have accomplished and have yet to begin. There is so much to be discovered and analyzed. Research allows me to make my mark on the search of the impacts we have on each other as citizens of our country and world. I would encourage anyone with an idea to get involved in research, as you really have no idea how much it can impact your life.

What advice would you give to aspiring student researchers?

To aspiring student researchers I would say, persevere and do not be afraid to put yourself out there. Someone’s no might be another person’s yes! You never know where the next opportunity may lie. Send emails to faculty members expressing interest in their research. Keep applying to grants and fellowships even if one does not work out. From my experience, a large part of research is being able to adapt and overcome. I have found that the hurdles and learning curves experienced in the initial stages of a research project make the outcome so much more rewarding. Keep your head up and keep searching for answers.

What do you enjoy the most about participating in research?

What I enjoy most about research is the challenge. Sometimes, an original idea may not work out exactly how I first envisioned it. Often, the challenges I must adapt to make my research even better! I enjoy searching for answers and sharing them with others. I especially enjoy working with faculty who are more experienced than myself. They help me learn to be a better researcher and often inspire me to continue working hard. Research is the gateway to making the change I want to see. Getting to know others along the way who are equally as driven as I am has also been a huge positive to participating in research.

What is your greatest accomplishment so far?

My greatest accomplishment so far has been presenting a mock argument before the New Hampshire Supreme Court. This was my first taste of research, and really helped set me up for my undergraduate career. I met so many great people and got lots of advice from those I look up to. This experience allowed me to get involved in public policy and the law, which are two areas I am extremely passionate about.

Click here for more information on Anabelle and other OUR Peer Research Ambassadors.